An attractive and small marquetry longcase clock. The case with formerly rising hood has ebonised barley twist columns to the corners with marquetry panels to the front door and to the frieze above the hood. The main trunk door of the clock has five marquetry panels of floral and bird inlay with an oval lenticle for the pendulum. The door has a round ebonised moulding to its edges. The base of the clock has a large urn of flowers with two birds on either side. The clock stands on bun feet.
The 10″ square brass dial has large winged cherub spandrels and the silvered chapter ring is signed for the maker ‘Cornelious Herbert, on London Bridge’ between VII and V. It has a well matted centre with a silvered seconds ring and nicely pierced and blued steel hands. There is a cut out for the date above VI.
The month duration movement has five knopped and finned pillars which are latched to the front plate. It has an anchor escapement and an outside count wheel and strikes the hours on a bell.
Height: 6′ 6″ (190 cm)
Cornelious Herbert was apprenticed in 1659 to David Mell and then transferred to William Grout in 1661. He was made free of the Clockmakers’ Company in 1668 and took on a number of apprentices. He worked in London Bridge throughout his career until his death in 1710.