For an overview, please click on one of the images above and scroll through the gallery. For images that you can enlarge to examine in greater detail, please scroll down to the end of this page.
The gilt-brass case is nicely engraved with scroll and floral engraving, and has an engraved surround to the oval glass panel on top of the clock.
The porcelain dial with bleu de roi surround and gilded framework has a well painted woodland, river with ducks, and sky scene, with the main dial and alarm subsidiary dial with black numerals. It is signed for the retailer Henri Capt, Genéva. The two side panels with similar surrounds show two classical maidens in woodland settings.
The eight day gong striking and repeating movement has a fine quality silvered lever escapement stamped for Henri Capt. The backplate has the Drocourt stamp and is numbered 22245.
Case height: 5 ½″ (14 cm).
Pierre Drocourt and his son, Alfred, were amongst the finest carriage clock makers of their time. They were located at Rue Debelleyme 28 and Rue de Limoges in Paris. They also had workshops at Saint-Nicolas-d’Aliermont.
Pierre is recorded as exhibiting at the Great Exhibitions in the 1860s and Alfred 1880 and 1889. They were awarded a bronze medal at the Besançon Exhibition in 1860, an Honourable Mention in London 1862 and in Paris a bronze medal in 1867, silver in 1878 and gold in 1889. Alfred succeeded Pierre in 1880.
Their trademark, which can normally be found on the backplate, is a ‘D’ and a ‘C’ either side of a carriage clock within an oval. Further details can be found in ‘Carriage Clocks’ by Charles Allix and Peter Bonnert.